Sunday, June 30, 2013

Week Six . . . Still at it . . .

This week has been long.  I have worked (and reworked) the review section of the on-line tutoring class that I am building.  I have spent a lot of time working on review.  I know that this is an problem area for many students.  Many students find that they missed a concept or have forgotten it and now need to know it to continue.

I now have to work on the core material.  I hope that the work in the chapters goes quicker than the review.

I watched the presentation from Heidi Olson.  I saw the video regarding the student lecturing the teacher.  I that the video rang true, I remember receiving packets to fill out.

Heidi pointed out a couple of things.  The first was that the welcome was most important.  I am concerned about the welcome.  I am not the primary teacher, so the students will not have the opportunity to get to know each other or me.  Another point she made was in regard to "too many clicks."   I just had this discussion with my supervisor.  She wanted all my items to fall into various folders, so that there wasn't so much to look at once.  This created lots of clicks.

Showing examples to students was mentioned.  I had a teacher that gave us only examples.  I tried, but I could never get the papers correct.  I thought I was following the examples, but always fell short of expectations.  I desperately wanted a rubric to follow.  Maybe examples with a rubric would have been better?

I will continue working on my Blackboard course.  I don't know how I will ever finish.  So much to do, so little time.


No comments:

Post a Comment